Throughout the campaign, President-elect Donald Trump made shocking promises to create a Muslim registry, championed stop and frisk, and in general promised us more profiling, more surveillance, and less protections for civil liberties.
His cabinet nominees are very much cast in that mold. We have run a series of profiles of the most egregious threats to civil liberties. Here are the low lights. Click on their name or picture, for the full facts on what these nominees mean for your civil liberties.
- Nomination to federal judiciary rejected due to racist remarks
- As Senator, was one just nine members to vote against anti-torture bill.
- As Alabama Attorney General, violated First Amendment rights of LGBT student groups.
- Believes ACLU and NAACP are un-American groups who forced civil rights onto people against their will.
- Fired by Obama Administration.
- Believes that “Shariah, or Islamic law, is spreading in the United States.”
- Told Trump he must engage in “world war’ with Islamist militants and must work with any willing allies in the fight, including President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia.”
- Pledged to end “political correctness” in national security.
- Considers immigrants an “existential threat.”
- Supports War on Drugs
- Praise Plan Colombia, which was linked to human rights abuses, including killing of trade unionists.
- Undermined Obama’s attempts to close Guantánamo.
- Former CEO of Brietbart, which he made the mouthpiece of white nationalists.
- Promoter of Islamophobia, opponent of Black Lives Matter.
- As Oklahoma Attorney General, was sued by Humane Society of United States for political harassment.