DRAD joined the Society of Professional Journalists today, along with 28 other journalism and press freedom organizations, to urge the Saudi Arabia ambassador to the U.S. to launch a full investigation into the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
The coalition sent the following letter to Ambassador Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz today:
Oct. 11, 2018
The Embassy of The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
601 New Hampshire Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20037
Dear Ambassador Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz,
We, the 30 undersigned journalism and free press organizations, representing thousands of journalists and their supporters, join the United States government and others in urging a full investigation into the disappearance of Washington Post contributor Jamal Khashoggi after he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
Khashoggi, a 59-year-old veteran journalist who has lived in self-imposed exile in the United States, disappeared while on a visit to the Saudi Arabia consulate in Istanbul to get paperwork done to be married to his Turkish fiancée.
The threat of violence, kidnapping or death to any journalist who is seeking the truth and reporting it is dangerous to freedom and democracy around the world. It is of utmost importance that officials do everything in their power to find Khashoggi, return him to his fiancée and family and hold those responsible for his disappearance accountable.
- Society of Professional Journalists
- American Society of Journalists and Authors
- American Society of News Editors
- Associated Collegiate Press
- Associated Press Media Editors
- Associated Press Photo Managers
- Association of Alternative News Media
- Association of Food Journalists
- Defending Rights & Dissent
- Freedom of the Press Foundation
- Journalism Education Association
- Local Media Association
- Media Freedom Foundation
- National Association of Black Journalists
- National Association of Science Writers, Inc.
- National Federation of Press Women
- National Newspaper Association
- National Press Club
- National Press Photographers Association
- National Scholastic Press Association
- National Society of Newspaper Columnists
- National Writers Union/UAW Local 1981
- News Media Alliance
- Project Censored
- Radio Television Digital News Association
- Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- Tully Center for Free Speech
- Society of Environmental Journalists